Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Do small things with great love."


I keep running into Mother Theresa. I ran into her in a book store a couple of days ago and I ran into her online today on another blog I read. I also ran into her during a conversation with a friend this morning. At the book store, I bought her book, Total Surrender, and they also had a little plaque which I did not purchase that had a quote from her on it. Mother Theresa left us many wise gems to ponder, but this one we have adopted as our family motto-"Do small things with great love." In my conversation with my friend on the phone this morning she shared another. I do not remember the exact wording, but it went something like this-A worldly person (a reporter probably) asked Mother how she expected to make any difference in the whole scheme of things because of course, the efforts of she and her Missionaries of Charity would not end hunger, poverty and sickness in India. Her reply to this person was that her Lord did not require her to be "successful", but only to be faithful. Here is a quote from Total Surrender that inspired me, "There is so much unhappiness, so much misery everywhere. Our human nature stays with us from beginning to end. We must work hard every day to conquer ourselves. We must learn to be meek and humble of heart. Let us try to give everything to Jesus, use my eyes, my ears, my feet!" When people ask Paul or I, "How do you do it?' It is not us and this is hard for the world to comprehend. Use me Lord, use my eyes, my ears, my feet. Help me to avoid the sin of pride. Help me to teach these children to be filled with your joy-to know and love and serve you.

0 comments: