Saturday, July 18, 2009

Working Man

Our oldest son, Matt, recently started working at a local grocery store. He is heading off to college this Fall and is saving every penny for his college tuition. The years have flown by and I cannot believe he is finally "grown up". I remember when he was born, I never thought past that newborn stage. Look at him now. He towers over me and is quite pleased by this. He calls me "short" all the time and will put his arm around me and peer down at me.

Matt helped with a talk we gave on adoption at our church earlier this year. He started his part by saying, "My parents have five teenagers, three preschoolers and a nine year old right now, so any prayers you might want to throw their way would be greatly appreciated." The congregation laughed. Matt has always been supportive of our adoptions. In fact, most of our children say they hope to adopt some day. How incredible would that be if adoption became a muti-generational tradition for our family!

Here is a humorous anecdote. A co-worker of Matt's saw him come into the store on his day off with his sister, Melissa. Well, next time Matt was working with this young man, he asked Matt if the girl with him that day was his girlfriend. Matt said, "No, that was my sister." The young man said, "Oh, I see the resemblance now." (I can only assume this resemblance was that they both have curly hair.) Matt replied to his co-worker, "She's adopted." The young man then said a bit embarassed, "OK, I'll just shut up now." I thought this was very cute.

0 comments: